Monday, January 26, 2009

Odd name for a blog

Maybe yes, maybe no.

A mysterious woman, this Lydia. Note that she is called by her Latin name, Lydia Purpuraria in the Vulgate, where she shows up in Acts 16:14. This is Clue #1. I'll decode it for you. This blogger is one of those Latin Mass loving Roman Catholics.

Why, of all the women in the Bible, of all the many saints names, would I choose this one?

I'm a businesswoman. Like Lydia, I spend much of my time in the world of commerce. I would have to imagine that she was respected by her trading partners, who were without a doubt, mostly male. All of my working life, I've been one of the few women working in male professions.

Like Lydia, I also have an affinity for fabric. Things made of fiber, wool and cotton, form the basis of my hobbies. You may see a photo from time to time, but it's not my intent to make this a craft blog.

Like Lydia, I am a Christian. I open this little blog to you as Lydia opened her house. I ask you to stay, to read, to respond. At the end of the passage wherein she appears in Scripture, it says:

she besought us, saying: If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there.

I close this, my opening post with a prayer to St. Lydia, that she may help me to hear the words of Paul in this Pauline year, and that she may help me grow in faith and hospitality.

And if she could motivate me to finish a few of my quilts, that would be a great thing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment